Director of Advancement - 2 positions: 1 in NYC and 1 in Bay Area
- Aug 07, 2017
One Love’s vision of educating young people across the country about the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships and then engaging them in a movement to change the statistics around relationship abuse can only happen through the generosity of many. Over the past three years, we have raised nearly $12 million to support our national expansion, however to reach every young person and engage every community, we must soon grow to an organization with the ability to raise that much annually.
We are currently hiring Directors of Advancement to support our work in the Bay Area, where we have recently established an on-the-ground team, and in the New York City tri-state region, where we are headquartered and where we will be expanding our focused programmatic work in the year to come.
The Bay Area Director of Advancement will be part of our Bay Area team, reporting to our Regional Executive Director. The NYC Tri-State Director of Advancement will be part of our national team, reporting directly to our Managing Director, Development.
The Director of Advancement will work to expand the base of community members who share our vision and who want to participate as individual donors, community fundraisers, and volunteers recruiting their community to this work. Our ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic fundraising professional who believes wholeheartedly in our mission and is eager to build the base of support required to fuel this movement. He/she will be a self-starter who is eager to play a lead role in expanding and deepening our supporters’ connectedness and involvement.
A major part of this role involves building our pipeline through community engagement and outreach that introduces individuals to our work. As importantly, the Director of Advancement will work to identify, cultivate, and solicit individuals capable of making major gifts, supporting special events, and leading community fundraising activities on our behalf. He/she will also work to develop relationships with Foundations and Corporations that are interested in supporting this work.
- Work with the team to develop a strategy for widening the funnel of possible supporters by expanding awareness and engagement activities to include film screenings, strategy updates, and community events.
- Build a calendar of events for the year and engage volunteers to help coordinate and lead planning.
- Continually reach out to potential new supporters for one-on-one meetings and conversations to share One Love’s progress and articulate the possibility of this movement. Clearly communicate the vision, actively listening to how someone wants to be involved, and then working closely to engage them in the movement.
- Play a lead role in developing a regional special events strategy to raise funds and build awareness of One Love’s work, and then develop a follow-up strategy to further engage attendees in our work.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual and foundation donors at the major gift level ($2,500 - $100,000+). Develop customized strategies to cultivate and solicit donors. Work with other members of the One Love team to identify possible corporate supporters and develop those relationships.
- Create and develop compelling donor proposals that effectively make the case for support.
- Track record of experience with relationship management in sales, whether in the nonprofit or for-profit sector. Proven track record of building deep relationships and then cultivating, soliciting and closing investments or gifts. Minimum of 5-7 years of front line experience required.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to articulate the vision and rally support.
- Experience with raising funds for a start-up or campaign-like nonprofit is preferred but not required.
- Experience using Salesforce as a customer relationship management tool is preferred.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Deep passion for One Love’s mission and movement
- An engaging and approachable demeanor. Someone who has a collaborative mindset.
- A polished communicator and excellent writer, able to effectively articulate the case for One Love support
- High energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and to galvanize a team to do so as well
- Collaborative, team-driven style
- Superior organizational, time-management and follow-up skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces experimentation and can quickly pivot where required
- Sense of humor a plus!
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity; someone who uses a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Bachelor’s degree required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation and benefits package is commensurate with experience and is competitive with comparable nonprofits in the region.
One Director of Advancement will be based in San Francisco, and the other will be based in the NYC tri-state, working out of an office based in Westchester County, New York, a 35-minute train ride from Grand Central Station in Manhattan.
TO APPLY: Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put: “I’m your next Director of Advancement” in the subject line. Please indicate Bay Area or NYC Tri-State in your subject line.
- Include an attached resume in PDF format
- In 300 words or less, pitch us on why you’re the best candidate for the job