Director of Special Events
- Aug 07, 2017
One Love’s vision of educating young people across the country about the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships and then engaging them in a movement to change the statistics around relationship abuse can only happen through the generosity of many. Over the past three years, we have raised nearly $12 million to support our national expansion, however to reach every young person and engage every community, we must soon grow to an organization with the ability to raise that much per year.
We are looking to hire a seasoned event professional who will work with the Managing Director of Advancement to oversee a Special Event strategy for One Love in the major metropolitan areas where we currently hold One Night for One Love events as well as in new regions eager to raise awareness and funds to help bring our work to their geography. Based out of New York, he/she will work closely with on-the-ground teams to help execute this work.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who believes wholeheartedly in our mission and is eager to contribute to the creation of meaningful and impactful events that increase revenue and donor loyalty, and that foster strong brand awareness as well as recruit new supporters of the movement.
Event Planning & Production
- Work with MD, Advancement as well as Regional Executive Directors to craft a vision and strategic plan for the year’s events
- Execute One Love’s annual gala in New York and support galas in three other cities
- Produce other high quality events that engage supporters, increase brand awareness and grow revenue
- Take a leadership role in recruiting and managing host committees for events, building and maintaining relationships with members
- Oversee all details of organizing well-run events:
- Create printed and online materials to market the event to individual and corporate supporters
- Solicit donors – individual and corporate – leveraging and supporting existing relationships
- Develop budgets and manage invoices, negotiating with vendors to secure rates that enhance budgets
- Ensure all responses are tracked in Salesforce, pledges are accurately recorded, and oversee all important donor communications
- Develop detailed run of show and manage internal and external volunteers and vendors for the day-of event
- Focus on tracking key performance indicators and metrics of success
- Work with team to ensure all pledged payments are received
- Review and assess each event for continual improvement
Internal Team Leadership
- Manage and mentor junior members of the Advancement team, including providing event management training to maximize productivity and efficiency
- Communicate event information throughout the team and overall organization; rally cross-functional teams to ensure that timelines are met
- Stay current with evolving fundraising technologies and developments in philanthropic trends
- 6 years plus experience in managing events or fundraising activities
- Outstanding relationship building skills and communication skills, including the ability to work with staff and donors at all levels, and represent the organization with enthusiasm, professionalism, and discretion as needed
- Understanding of charitable giving legal guidelines, specifically as it relates to fundraising events
- Prior team management experience and strong leadership skills
- Proven strong contract and negotiation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multitask, prioritize, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced and high-volume environment
- Experience with a CRM database, preferably Salesforce
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Deep passion for One Love’s mission and movement
- An engaging and approachable demeanor. Someone who has a collaborative – not turfy – mindset
- A polished communicator and excellent writer, able to effectively articulate the case for One Love support
- High energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and to galvanize a team to do so as well
- Collaborative, team-driven style
- Superior organizational, time-management and follow-up skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces experimentation and can quickly pivot where required
- Sense of humor a plus!
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity; someone who uses a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Bachelor’s degree required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation and benefits package is competitive with nonprofits of comparable size in the region.
The position is based in Westchester County, New York, a 35-minute train ride from Grand Central Station in Manhattan.
TO APPLY: Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put: “I’m your next Director, Special Events” in the subject line
- Include an attached resume in PDF format
- In 300 words or less, pitch us on why you’re the best candidate for the job