MANAGING DIRECTOR, ENGAGEMENT
- Aug 02, 2016
One Love’s Engagement team brings our educational content and campaigns to campuses and communities across the country. The Managing Director leads this team (ten people and growing) in its work, helping to develop strategic plans focused on achieving ever broader dissemination of our content and deepening our engagement within communities where we already have a presence.
To date, One Love’s team has been entirely based in New York, but expansion requires the establishment of regional offices. The Managing Director will be the lead architect of our regional growth plan and will work closely with team members to achieve growth objectives and expand the movement. Because of this strategic shift, it is essential that the Managing Director have strong professional experience bringing content or services to regionally disparate clients or constituents.
Given the importance of our Engagement effort to sparking a movement to end relationship violence, it’s critical that the Engagement team and its leadership believe 100% in the importance of the mission and the power of communities, and young people in particular, to achieve ambitious goals.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing a strategic plan for expanding One Love’s work on campuses and in communities across the country. The Managing Director will evaluate our progress to date, other models for content and curricular distribution, and opportunities already identified by the team as a baseline for creating a three-year strategic plan. He or she will work closely with other members of the leadership team and key donors to build a model for regional growth. Ultimately, he or she will present a plan for the team and budget required to do this work, rollout timeline, and the key metrics/goals to be achieve regional success.
- Executing against the strategic plan and managing the Engagement team’s budget. With a strategic plan in place, the Managing Director’s job will shift toward executing against that plan and managing the associated budget.
- Evaluating our progress and working collaboratively with other departments at One Love to continue to iterate and evolve our model for impact. The MD, Engagement will continually evaluate our progress in the field. Based on this data, he or she will work with leaders of other verticals (Content & Campaigns, Partnerships, and Strategy & Ops) as well as with the CEO to continually evaluate the success of our efforts and brainstorm ways to improve them.
- Representing One Love publicly as we work to build strong relationships in communities and on campuses across the country. While much of the MD’s job involves internal functions, he or she will also have an important external role as ambassador and relationship builder, interfacing with new and existing campus and community partners. We expect approximately 25% of the MD’s time to be spent on the road.
- Manage the Engagement team day to day. The Managing Director will have direct responsibility for managing the Engagement team: establishing individual strategic plans, assessing progress against those plans, brainstorming about roadblocks or strategic challenges, and developing individual development plans for each employee. The Managing Director will create structured opportunities for the team to debrief with each other and share learning that can be filtered back to strategic approaches and plans. It is critical that the MD be not only comfortable managing a team remotely but also familiar with developing team communication processes that keep the team tightly linked even when they are not physically together.
- Deep passion for One Love’s mission and movement.
- Bachelor’s degree and 15 plus years of experience working on program development or business development is required.
- Direct experience with and prior responsibility for developing strategy around customer service or product delivery in a regional distribution model, including experience establishing goals and then executing against them.
- At least 5 years of team management experience; experience managing a team of 10 or more is preferred.
- Comfortable and confident communication skills that enable him/her to be a strong external representative of One Love’s work as well as an efficient and clear internal communicator.
- Strong, collaborative team leader who is eager to work as part of a management team in developing the plan of action that will get us to our goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces experimentation and is able to quickly pivot where required. Prior experience working in a fast growth organization is preferred.
- Ability to be a strategic leader and visionary as well as to chart out a tactical plan of action. High comfort with multi-tasking is a must.
- Extremely self-motivated with the ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Sense of humor is a plus!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation and benefits package is competitive with comparable nonprofits in the region.
The position is based in Westchester County, New York, a 35-minute train ride from Grand Central Station in Manhattan.
TO APPLY: Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put: “I’m your next Managing Director, Engagement” in the subject line
- Include an attached resume in PDF format
- In 150 words or less, pitch us on why you’re the best candidate for the job