Team One Love is the action engine for One Love’s efforts made up of volunteers – ranging from teens through adults – dedicated to playing an active role in the movement to end relationship violence. The Director, Volunteer Engagement will oversee all aspects of our volunteer engagement strategy, including the design and launch of our adult Community Ambassador and Educator Ambassador programs and growing our existing College and Teen Ambassador programs (which will be managed by the Manager, Student Leadership Programs).
Team One Love has developed organically to date thanks to the enthusiasm of volunteers on-the-ground. They have demonstrated the potential that volunteers hold to expand our reach and impact and highlight the need for a more formal and structured program. We are creating the Director, Volunteer Engagement position to help streamline and organize the program to most effectively mobilize the energies and activations of the thousands of young people who are currently involved in the movement and recruit and engage exponentially more.
Community members are the best champions for healthy relationships education, bringing the most authentic and compelling voice to the issue among their peers and with key decision-makers in schools, community groups and teams. It is our responsibility to give those who are interested clear direction on how to use their powerful voice for the most impact and to elevate those voices across our communities as the leaders of this conversation.
In response, we are looking to activate our army of volunteers under the banner of Team One Love, providing them with comprehensive direction, goals, tools and support to lead the movement to end relationship violence in their community. Team One Love includes volunteers of all ages – spanning teen and college ambassadors, young professionals network members, and adult champions.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & OUTCOMES
- Build and execute a best-in-class national volunteer engagement platform. The Director will develop and execute the strategy to make One Love’s volunteer engagement platform a driving force for One Love’s national growth and impact. Creatively design a model that is motivating, supportive and highly scalable.
- Exponentially grow the base of Team One Love volunteers, building a volunteer army that reflects the diversity of this movement. Set tangible and ambitious goals for the growth of Team One Love. Develop and implement a recruitment strategy to achieve goals with a clear plan for recruiting and engaging a diverse base of volunteers.
- Create tools and resources to efficiently activate and support volunteers. The Director will create all guidelines, toolkits and materials required to roll out the strategy – both internally and for volunteers.
- Develop system for tracking volunteer engagement. The Director will build out the approach to track volunteers, their activity, and their experience to both enable high levels of support and to inform the evolution and improvement of the program.
- Motivate volunteers through recognition, sense of community and positive experience. Recognize, celebrate and honor volunteers. Identify ways to make volunteers feel connected and inspired by one another. Ensure every volunteer feels connected to One Love and that they are getting the support they need to take action.
- Provide support to Regional Executive Directors and their teams. Our regional offices are where the bulk of our existing volunteer base exists and where much of the piloting of our volunteer model will take place. The Director will support the regional teams to implement the strategy they design while also empowering them to innovate and test new ideas. The Director will coordinate experiments across regions, consolidating learnings and sharing what works. The Director will also provide tips, advice, and best practices to help streamline regional efforts.
- Experiment with establishing volunteer-driven regional “Hubs.” Our volunteer strategy is rooted in the idea that volunteers can drive our work in areas where we don’t have a regional staff presence. The Director will develop a model that empowers leaders on the ground to mobilize other volunteers and will work directly with local leaders to support their efforts.
- Support the Manager, Student Leadership. The Manager, Student Leadership will lead the strategy for One Love’s Teen and Campus Ambassador programs, our most established volunteer experiences. The Manager will report to the Director and partner closely on developing and executing the strategy for our youth volunteers.
- 10+ years of experience required. This role requires experience managing volunteers and/or a volunteer program for a nonprofit
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategy, charting out and implementing a tactical plan of action to achieve ambitious goals
- Proven record of excellent relationship management that leads to deeper community engagement
- Creative vision-setter and problem-solver
- Comfortable and confident communication skills that enable the candidate to be a strong external representative of One Love’s work as well as an efficient and clear internal communicator
- Strong writing skills, experience developing tools, trainings, and resources for constituents
- Experience as a motivational manager to both volunteers as well as direct reports
- Comfort using data to inform decision-making
- Prior experience working in a fast growth organization is preferred
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Deep passion for One Love’s mission and movement
- Extremely self-motivated
- Strong detail orientation and high comfort with multi-tasking
- Energized by fluidity, and highly adaptable to rapidly evolving and changing environments
- High energy, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and to galvanize others to do so as well
- Collaborative, team-driven style
- Superior organizational, time-management and follow-up skills
- Goals and metrics oriented
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces experimentation and can quickly pivot where required
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity; someone who views others with an assets-based lens, values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position is based in New York and compensation and benefits package is competitive with comparable nonprofits in the region.